Many of you have emailed me or posted to voice your gripes about the painful process of installing an OpenStack environment to play around with. I feel your pain! My recent article on deploying OpenStack using conjure-up worked great until a developer committed some defective code. Some of you even reverted to my old guide on deploying OpenStack on Ubuntu 14.04 from last year. So, I set out to give you a fool proof, 100% guaranteed deployment method that’s EASY, STABLE, and works on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial. Here you go!
For this guide, you will need a server at least as good as these specs.
- Virtual Machine on a real hypervisor (ESXi, KVM, Xen, etc) or a bare metal server with virtualization support.
- 14GB of RAM is the recommended minimum.
- 100GB of hard disk space, at least.
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server, having already ran sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
- About an hour and a cup of coffee.